Whanganui District Library has a range of information, resources and services to help you in your career.
Resources in the library collection
Click on the subject headings below to find books and other items in the Library collection to help with your job search.
Services the library offers
Photocopying, printing and scanning for a small charge
- Free wifi
- Free computer use
- Free Book-a-Librarian appointment to help with:
- Registering on RealMe, MyMSD, and job websites
- Setting up an email address
- Free Justice of the Peace services to certify copies of documents and witness signatures. Contact the Library ahead of time to make sure our JP is available. To prepare for your JP visit, see this checklist.
LinkedIn Learning courses
LinkedIn Learning has many courses to help with job-hunting and adding to your skills.
Log into LinkedIn Learning free with your library card and PIN. Then search for skills you would like to learn.
For job-seekers, there are courses on CVs, cover letters, job interviews and other relevant topics.
CV and cover letter templates
- Careers NZ CV Builder
- Careers NZ CV and cover letter templates
- Seek Resume and cover letter templates
- Canva Free Resume Builder
Training Providers in Whanganui
Check out the list of local training providers on our Learning Resources page.
Connected.govt.nz – a central place for information from the Government about employment, education and training.
Careers NZ – advice and tools to help with your job search
Job search websites
See our Job Search Websites page for a list of sites advertising job vacancies. Some of these sites specialise in different kinds of jobs or job seekers.
Many of these sites let you apply for the job directly on the website. If you need help registering and applying for a job on a job search website, make a free Book-a-Librarian appointment.
Job Hunters’ Workbook – includes advice about the job hunting process, CVs, job interviews, links to organisations that can support you, and more.
School Leavers’ Toolkit – the Getting a Job section includes advice about identifying your skills, choosing a career, CVs, job interviews, and more.
Voluntary work can help you to build your skills and experience.
These websites list volunteer opportunities.
For more organisations that may be looking for volunteers, see our Volunteer Opportunities webpage.
- Talent Connect – connects you with Whanganui businesses who are looking for your skills
- Workbridge – supports people with disabilities, injury or other health conditions into employment
- APM Employment Services – free support to gain employment
- Inwork Preparation for Work – online work preparation programme
As well as jobseeker support and other benefits, WINZ provides the following ways of supporting people into work: