This wooden building was originally built to house the extensive collections of Samuel Drew, founder of Wanganui’s first public museum. It was designed by architect Alfred Atkins and was completed in 1893, opening officially a year later when the collection was in place.
In 1898 the building was extended but by the 1920s was becoming too small to hold the growing collections. The museum collection was then transferred in 1928 to the present Whanganui Regional Museum building, which stands opposite the War Memorial Hall.
The Wanganui branch of the Savage Club was formed on the 19th of September 1891 and moved into the building in 1929. They renamed it “The Savage Club Hall”.
The aims of the club are to provide entertainment, good fellowship and to assist any worthy causes. The hall is still used to hold their meetings and functions, as well as being the regular rehearsal place for the Wanganui Male Choir.