Once Wanganui’s first custom-built Library, the Repertory Theatre building was designed by John Robinson Wright and built by James Tawse in 1882 at a cost of over 618 pounds. The site on the edge of Queen's Park was provided by the government.
Generous bequests enabled the building to be extended on each side between 1894 and 1904. The wings were designed by Alfred Atkins.
The building served as the public library for Wanganui until the Alexander Library was opened in 1933.
Since then the building has housed the Repertory Theatre and has undergone some modifications to include a theatre stage, although the exterior remains relatively unchanged.