skip to content

Queen's Park School Memorial Gates

Enterprising Queen’s Park School pupils held a Queen Carnival in August of 1926 to help raise funds for these Memorial Gates, in honour of past pupils who gave their lives in the First World War (1914 – 1918).

The gates were unveiled in 1926 and were retained when the Queen’s Park School was demolished in 1977. Innovative design of the new library building situated on the Queen’s Park School site in 1980, ensured the gates could remain where they are.

Surplus funds from the Queen’s Park School Centenary in 1979 were donated to give the gates an initial preservation facelift and so help keep this final reminder of one of Wanganui’s illustrious primary schools, as well as being a timely reminder of the cost of war.
 

 

Powered by Website Baker